Flavours of the Klein Karoo
Community Recipe Book Project
In food we find comfort, we celebrate and we nourish. In food we share culture, we share happiness, and make memories. It represents family, community and unity. And although we have an abundance of Klein Karoo riches to flaunt, the boldness of our virtue is infused with the flavours of our forefathers, colourful cultures, and semi-arid surroundings. Our hope is that this book and its delightful contents are enjoyed amongst loved ones… and that the ‘Klein Karoo secret ingredient’ feeds the heart and soul too!
Be a part of this project and share your favourite recipe or story, true to the Klein Karoo, whether it has been passed down for generations, or even one that you have created/discovered yourself!
This collaborative recipe book will be printed and sold as a fundraising initiative for the Oudtshoorn and De Rust Tourism Office (non-profit), allowing for further promotion of our region as we navigate post-pandemic tourism recovery, not only to salvage our industry but to increase economic growth in our respective towns. Additionally, 20% of all profits during the first year, will go towards food for local shelters and soup kitchens.
Anyone can be a part of this great story-telling style recipe book and make a difference while doing so. Please make submissions based on the following criteria:
RECIPES (& STORIES)
- Open to anyone based in/linked to the Klein Karoo region
- Submit a recipe that is unique to this region whether it be ingredients, culturally, through heritage, inclusive of local produce and flora and so on
- Suitable for any skill level
- The recipe must consist of detailed, tested instructions and obtainable ingredients
The recipe can be a variation of another published recipe, but may not be plagiarized
- Send a good quality photo of the dish for printing – no stock photos allowed
- Please send your full name and a profile photo along with your recipe, or you can remain anonymous should you wish
- All submissions should be accompanied by a short motivation/story of this recipe; ie made by Grandmother, and why it is special to you…
- You can submit as many recipes as you like, for any type of food or drink; sweet, savoury, preserves, cocktails or even pet treats!
- Please try and focus on local/native ingredients like ostrich, lamb, figs, stone fruit, grapes, pomegranates, olives, flora etc. For eg, there is no rule against submitting a seafood recipe, but it is not traditional to the Klein Karoo – unless you are combining it with some local produce (steamed or cooked in a local wine for instance)
- In the event of a high influx of submissions, the recipes will be tested and undergo a selection process and we reserve the right to not use all entries
- If you don’t have a recipe, you are WELCOME to send a culinary/food/produce related story true to the region
All submissions will automatically enter a draw, and one lucky winner will receive a tourism sponsored prize to the value of R10 000! This draw will take place at the book launch; date to be announced soon.
Entries close on 30 June
Entries can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or can be submitted in person to the Oudtshoorn and De Rust Tourism Office.